Sunday, July 21, 2013

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare




I have come across the Shadow Hunters before this book, following Clary's Adventures in The Mortal Instruments books. The plot of the story was interesting, but the teen angst become boring and annoying very quickly. ( And I couldn't stand Jace.) I didn't pick up this series until my friend recommended The Infernal Devices, assuring me that it was a really great read. 
I must admit that this series is a pleasant surprise! Not only is the main character sensible, but the main cast is charming, all with their own unique flaws and quirks. The quotes at the beginning of each chapter are significant and clever add ons. There's fun dialogue and well thought out story lines.  Another plus is the love triangle, which is not ridiculous so far, and I actually like both Jem and Will. (Jem is my favorite character.) The plot itself is very interesting, with unpredictable twists and turns and a history that ties in with the previous series. 
The world of the Clave, the Downworlders and the Mundanes is not an easy task to manage, but Clare writes great explanations, and Tessa asks a lot of questions. 
I have already bought the second book in the series, and I recommend it to anyone that enjoys action, suspense, history, religion and of course romance. The book is very balanced in fleshing out the characters, adding interesting plot points and introducing the reader to the world of a Shadow Hunter. 
With a setting in London and a steampunk flair, Clockwork Angel is an entertaining read and a mix of paranormal worlds , mystery and adventure. Of course, it probably helps that the main character is a book worm. Still, this adventure is an exciting one!

No comments:

Post a Comment