Friday, September 27, 2013

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier




This book was a recommended to me by my managers and supervisors at the bookstore. I enjoyed the narrative style, the time period and the mystery surounding Manderly. I found it interesting that the main character and narrator never reveals her name, but she mentions Rebecca, the former lady of Manderly, and constantly feels compared to and judged by the people of Manderly. The heroine tries to discover what happened to Rebecca, and why the people at Manderly tell her she can never compare to her. This novel was similar to Jane Eyre, but I found it much more creepy and sinister. It was the perfect read for a rainy week, and a wonderfuly told narrative that captures your attention from the first famous sentence. I don't want to reveal too much of the story, because it would spoil the people who haven't read it, but I will say that the story expertly twists and turns. Characters surprise you and the truth behind the mystery of Manderly is revealed. 
I recommend this book to anyone who loves mysteries, gothic novels and eighteenth century literature (and especially fans of Downton Abbey).

No comments:

Post a Comment