Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King



When I began this series, I decided that I wouldn't review it until I read all the books. Now that I have, I think I made the right decision. This review is also entirely spoiler free, because the story is too amazing to ruin for anyone. 
This is the first story that I have read by Stephen King. It did take a little time for me to get used to his writing style and the interesting way he told the story. The story, of course, begins with Roland, a gunslinger who is always searching for the Dark Tower. A constant wanderer, Roland pursues the Man in Black, the only being who knows where the tower lies. Roland himself is an interesting character who wavers on the line between humanity and madness. His obsession with the Dark Tower, and the decisions he makes to find it are the key points of the story. 
This will be vague, but only to protect anyone who hasn't read this series yet. From The Gunslinger to The Waste Lands, I had many predictions for this series. By the Wolves of Calla, most of them were wrong. At times the story is extremely symbolic, and at other times it is ambigious. 
This series inspired me to look at my writing differently. It was an epic tale and it blew me away. The last thing I will say is this: within the series is the most frustrating and amazing cliffhanger I have ever read! All in all I recommend this series. Writers love it. Artists love it. Anyone who enjoys an epic adventure with twists and turns will love this series. 
This philosophical, inspirational saga deserves movies, or even a televison show, but I'm not sure the adaptions could ever do it justice. 
I compare this saga to the brillance of Dune, Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games and even Avatar the Last Airbender. 
Five out of five singing roses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment